Happy St. Patrick’s Day, all you Irish out there!
“Be gore, me hearty! How’re you doin this day of our Lord?”
“Not so bad, Paddy. How’re you doing, me son?”
“Well, me arthritis is actin up and me joints don’t work as good as they used to!”
“Well, see you in the pub tonight for a pint.”
“Wouldn’t miss it for the world!”
This might be a conversation somewhere on the planet on St. Paddy’s Day. Here in St. John’s, Newfoundland, you might be meeting your buddies on George Street or at the Arts and Culture Center to hear some Irish music. Most of us do not need a reason or special day to celebrate or to meet at the pub for a beer or drink. But we wouldn’t miss St. Paddy’s Day at Shamrock City or Bridie Molloy’s! Not for all the tea in China!
Sometimes there are contests to urge us out on that special day. Shamrock City gave away a trip for two to Ireland several years ago and my husband and I won a chance to win. But we had to be there on St. Paddy’s Day and if our name was drawn and we weren’t there, they would draw again. I was sick with a bad flu that day but had no other choice but attend. There was a build up of momentum to the drawing time and we were forced to stay until after 11 p.m. No, we didn’t win that trip and I was thinking if only…. if only we had, my husband would have had no other choice but come to Ireland with me.
I’d like to go to Ireland and spend a couple months travelling from one county to the next. No rushing, just relaxing and enjoying the Irish people and the green hills. I spent ten days visiting county Cork many years ago, but did not get to see the rest of Ireland. My friend has since been very ill, and I would like to go back to see her. I’d like to see where my son worked when he was over there. I can come up with at least ten other reasons why I want to visit a second time!
Enjoy your St. Paddy’s Day. Don’t fall and break anything. Get a taxi home or have a designated driver. Have fun, sing along with the music and if you have the urge, get up and dance! Happy St. Patrick’s Day to one and all! The luck of the Irish be with you!
- 10 Green Initiatives to Take for St. Paddy’s Day (onlinecertificateprograms.org)
- St. Paddy’s Day! …’Cause if they don’t dance then they’re no friends of mine (monkiss.wordpress.com)
- Where to Go for St. Patricks Day in Dallas (prweb.com)
- International St. Patrick’s Day (catseyesk.wordpress.com)
- Luck of the Irish – 5 kid-friendly ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day (theinsider.retailmenot.com)
- More Irish, Less Green: 9 Stores to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day (bradsdeals.com)
- St. Paddy’s Day brings retailers more green on a Saturday (oregonlive.com)
- Irish Beef Stew Recipe (fox4kc.com)
- Irish Brew 101 (sprbrewcrew.wordpress.com)
- It’s not just for St. Paddy’s Day… (rokchiksroadtodublin.wordpress.com)
- The Best St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations in America (redenvelope.com)
- Where the Irish go for a pint (boston.com)