When you attend a flea market at the Lions Center in St. John’s, you have no idea what bargains you might find. You don’t need a pocketful of money either! I know because I’ve done my share of lining up and looking around for bargains. I’d much rather attend a flea market than shop at the Avalon or Village Malls.
“Are you going to buy that?” the old man said to me.
I had no idea what I had in my hand, at that moment. Then I noticed it was an art print by Ben Gillard, who hailed from Englee. And it had the two Newfoundland Hotels on it! I loved the old Newfoundland Hotel as it was where my husband and I had spent many nights, with our three sons.
“How much are you asking for it?” I asked the person behind the table.
“25 cents,” he answered.
“If you’re not buying it, may I have it? I’d love to have it for my daughter.” The elderly man was not giving up.
I thought for a second and felt a thrill at getting the print for a quarter.
“I’ll take it for a quarter,” I responded. “It has a lot of sentimental value for me.”
As I walked back to my car with the art print in my hands, I recalled the times we had been sad to know that the old building was going to be replaced. Now here I was with an image of the old and the new buildings and I loved it!
A few weeks later I took the print to Wallace Fowler, a retired teacher who did some framing part-time, and he framed it for me. Now it sits at the end of my hallway and I still enjoy looking at it. Fond memories of the hotel still remain. And I have Ben Gillard’s print to keep them alive!
- Social Media Flea Markets (lifeslittleessentials.wordpress.com)
- Find Everything From the Everyday To the Eclectic At Geneva’s Plainpalais Flea Market (schwingeninswitzerland.wordpress.com)
- J. White “Shellbird Island” (newfoundlandtraveller.wordpress.com)
- Treat Abandoned Englee Plant like the Emergency it is: Mitchelmore (liveruralnl.com)
- EL-DOE’s host annual flea market (tcpalm.com)
- Making Your Own Economy (socyberty.com)