One vivid memory I have is my father tying a piece of string around my tooth, and then attaching it to a doorknob. The door was slammed and out popped my tooth! I’m not really sure if it was one of my sisters or me. It is not something I would like anyone to do.
Now when one of my grand daughters loses a tooth, she stores the tooth under a pillow and waits for morning to see how much money the tooth fairy left there. There was always a big toothless smile when she finds a five dollar bill or a toonie.
“Time to get up. Got to get dressed and have breakfast before going to school.”
“Oh, wait, now, Mom! I’ve got to check to see if the tooth fairy came last night”
“All right, dear. Check fast as it is getting late.”
“Look, Mom! A toonie! Wow!” She shoves the coin in her bank before getting dressed. A big smile graces her beautiful face.
When the two front teeth fall out, and the speech changes, some children become a little self-conscious about the gap where the teeth once were. Photos are taken for the family scrapbooks and photo albums. Parents and other family members sing “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!” if the loss of teeth is around that season of the year.
I don’t remember getting money for my fallen out teeth. My sisters might have different recollections. Perhaps there was no money to give to children who did not really need it. The only little bit of whimsy back then was Santa and his elves, and the Easter Bunny who brought Easter Eggs. We read fairy tales and comic books but there was no tooth fairy to arrive late at night when we were sleeping to sneak a little moula under our pillows!
Where did that tradition come from, I wonder?
- The recession and the tooth fairy (mnn.com)
- The Tooth Fairy is Magically Revealed for National Tooth Fairy Day (prweb.com)
- I Can’t Handle The Tooth (bondotmom.com)
- Inflation and the Tooth Fairy (movinmywagonover.wordpress.com)
- Tooth Fairy Leaving Less Money (myfoxny.com)
- The tooth fairy visit (babyccinokids.com)
- Tough Times: Even the Tooth Fairy is Pinching Pennies (tvnooz.com)
- Economic pinch hits the Tooth Fairy (cbsnews.com)
- The Tooth Fairy (artfulparent.com)
- Blog post by Jennifer Humphries (bloggymoms.com)
- How-To: Tooth Fairy Stationery (craftzine.com)
- Tooth Fairy Pillow (amomwithalessonplan.com)
- Tooth Fairy Truths (appliedbehavioralstrategies.wordpress.com)
- National Tooth Fairy Day (greetingcarduniverse.com)
- Tooth Fairy Note (duffinfamilycircle.wordpress.com)
- “Tooth Fairy, You’re Fired!” (familymatterswithamber.com)
- The topic that keeps on giving (dooce.com)
- The Tooth…and Nothing but the Tooth (joyinthemoments.com)