I’ve been reading the book Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn for quite a number of months, during a long hot bath or just for a few minutes on a rainy day, I like to pick it up and see if anything resonates with me. Lo and behold, something popped out at me today and I quote from this book…
When we can be centered in ourselves, even for brief periods of time in the face of the pull of the outward world, not having to look elsewhere for something to fill us up or make us happy, we can be at home wherever we find ourselves, at peace with things as they are, moment by moment. (page 97)
Jon goes on to include a poem by Kabir, which really speaks to me.
Don’t go outside your house to see the flowers.
My friend, don’t bother with that excursion.
Inside your body there are flowers.
One flower has a thousand petals.
That will do for a place to sit.
Sitting there you will have a glimpse of beauty
inside the body and out of it,
before gardens and after gardens.
So his message is to find a place to be silent. No need to look at a book or magazine when we are troubled or ambivalent about something. The author’s final sentence in the chapter says “Let things be as they are.” How simple life can be if we just let it! Meditation can make a big differencelife our world!
- Wise Words from Jon Kabat-Zinn (namasteconsultinginc.com)
- Mindfulness Definition: Jon Kabat-Zinn Video (bauerphysicaltherapy.wordpress.com)
- May 18 Daily Meditation Writing: Scale (dailythoughts89.wordpress.com)
- Mindful Harmonica (harmonicaloveaffair.wordpress.com)
- A Quiet Mind: Six Meditative Steps To Freedom. (elephantjournal.com)
- Meditation: Can It Help Reduce Your Pain? (veteranstoday.com)