When a loaf of whole grain bread at The Rocket costs nearly five bucks, isn’t it time to try to make your own? I know I can get Dempsters at Dominion or Sobeys for three bucks, but I don’t trust all the ingredients on the package. I want to make sure I know what’s in my bread.
So today after making a trip to the Bulk Barn to buy 9 grain flour, I made a batch of buns. It took a few minutes to mix them up, let them rise an hour, knead down and then rise again, another hour. Then make them into small buns and let rise. Another hour! And finally putting in the oven on 400 degrees for 30 minutes but it was well worth the wait. I’m so happy with the taste as well as the look!
Have a peek. Not bad for someone who might have made bread ten times in the past ten years! And it is so good for me. Anyone around for a cup of tea and a bread bun with homemade rhubarb jam?
Yes, taking the time to make better bread is an effort, but I feel it is an effort that provides good nutrition which my body needs and deserves.
- Whole Grain Rosemary Foccacia (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- Blackberry Bread (andreasgardencooking.com)
- Hooked on Sourdough 2:The Easiest Sourdough bread recipe on the planet (kosherhomecooking.com)
- Happy Birthday, Bread Maker! (foodservicewarehouse.com)
- Focaccia, Focaccia Bread & Rosemary Focaccia (williams-sonoma.com)
- No Knead Bread (pearsoverapples.wordpress.com)
- 4 Ground Rules for Choosing Healthy Bread [Bread miniseries part 1/4] (fooducate.com)
- Honey Wheat Bread (shanehalbach.com)
- 11 Uses for Stale Bread (biosil.wordpress.com)